Saturday, August 30, 2008

Missed opportunity

Jeff and I love getting to the State Fair earlier on a weekday so we can see a couple of our favorite radio shows, as we did yesterday. Save the name calling. It could seem as though many females are dragged to the KFAN booth by their men, but not this one. Even though the station deems itself as the place for sports talk, it just is not always the case thanks to my two faves, Common Man Dan Cole and Dan Barriero. I can't even listen to music during my lunch hour (I even choose to eat in my car just so I can listen) or on my way home (unless someone is sitting in for Common in which case the topics tend to be geared too much towards sports for my liking, or if Mr. Fun, Barriero's sidekick is taking the lead). The shows are so entertaining and I cannot get enough. Current events, entertainment and sometimes just talk about a whole lot of nothing constantly keeps me coming back for more. I have been a talk radio junkie for quite some time, for a couple thirteen, fourteen years maybe. But with political talk overload for far too long now, I am a full on KFAN die hard, well at least during the 12-2 and 4-7 time slots. Try it. You'll like it.


OK, time to discuss my missed opportunity. So we're hanging out on the bleachers like groupies for two hours during Common's show at the Fair when a contest is announced. Tenna B, the show's sidekick, lets us know that if anyone is interested in hosting their own 10 minute segment on the show, here's their chance. Interested parties should sign up with them and they will draw two peoples' names. Yes! Pick me! Pick me! So, I signed up. There was even honorable mention about their surprise that they had some gals interested. So I went over all my material in my mind, seriously a bit nervous that I may get picked. It could be my big break. After all, couldn't I still host my own show from home while on maternity leave?

All that build up and no such luck. Not only was I not picked, my name wasn't even drawn to be a back up in case the two chosen bombed or got cold feet. So, exit stage left to get a pretzel with cheese now that the butterflies were gone and my appetite restored again. When I returned to my seat, as the two chosen were indeed bombing their segment, Common, sitting in the audience at this time approched. He approached ME, not the understudies, but me!


"You want to give it a try?" he says to me. Slight chuckle as I continued to eat, "Naw, I'm good," I say. What??? What did I do? Come back Common! Don't walk away that easily! I don't know why I said that. Was it because I was concentrating too much on food again (I mean, it had been an hour)? Was it because I thought I was going to be a third wheel to the two that were bombing, or was it because I was scared I was going to go up and do it alone? I don't know, but whatever it was, I messed up and lost my chance. I kicked myself for the rest of the show. For the rest of the day. Dare I say, for the rest of my life I may be kicking myself? It didn't help with Jeff nudging me saying how he was pretty sure it would have been just me and Common hanging out doing the show if I would've said yes. I kind of wanted to sob a little from the salted wounds. Most people could let these things go, but for me, I continue to stress out a bit because of my missed opportunity. I had some good material brewing too. So to you Mr. Cole, I apologize if I disrespected your progrum (not a typo) by telling you no. It was a total lapse on my part. I love Tenna B, but if he ever tires of being your interim producer, you'll need a new sidekick. You call me and rest assured that this time...I'm comin', I'm comin'.

4 comments:

Khristin said...

Bummer!! Steve and I love KFAN too. Glad to know there are other women enjoying the programs. Although, I enjoy Barriero more than Common. I also really like Paul Allen. We had a nice conversation with him two years ago at the Fair, ironically.

Rupp1009 said...

Haha! I too am closet fan of KFAN!

The Morelli Mafia said...

I can't believe it.. You would have been a STAR.

Bundlewarmer said...

Khris, I love PA also! I just can't listen to the show much because of the time it's on (although the bundlebreeder gets the podcasts). I'm pretty sure he is the reason I like going to Canterbury so much and he sure makes listening to the Vikings more fun too! And Tricia, glad you like KFAN too...it's fun hearing that! Thanks also for tooting my horn, Traci! You know how much I appreciate that. :)