Thursday, August 28, 2008

A day in the life

All in all, I've been feeling like a champ! Sometimes I feel badly even saying that for fear of sounding irritating to those who had a tougher time and for fear of jinxing myself, but all is going well.

I still get pretty tired so naps are a nice bonus when I get home from work. I would love if they were an every night occurrence, but it’s difficult to have that luxury, especially because it’s summer. It seems like there is always somewhere to be or something to do; however, naps always seem take precedence over cleaning the house! Tuesdays are a bit tougher than most days since I have Pilates over lunch and my golf league right after work. I love getting the exercise, but by the time I’m done golfing, I feel a little worn out. On the really hot days though, even when the thought of walking the course crossed my mind, I didn't have a choice. By the time I arrived at the club, my bag was already on the back of a cart and ready to go (thanks, Tricia!).


The slight bit of nausea I had at times ended some weeks ago, so I’ve been lucky. There are still occasions when nothing sounds good to me as far as what to eat, but mostly I feel like my stomach is a bottomless pit (especially when it comes to Mexican food)! Thus, not much has changed in that regard. I’m really looking forward to Friday when Jeff and I head to the Minnesota State Fair. I plan on indulging on everything I can get my hands on! For those of you not from MN, the Fair is a big deal for many in the state and the food is seriously endless. If you’ve been looking for pretty much anything you can think of to eat, you gotta get here. Quickly. My mouth is salivating just thinking about all that scrumptious cuisine.


In addition to my sleepiness and usual insatiable appetite not subsiding, I have been going to the bathroom like crazy. # 1. (I don’t even want to think of the visual had I not clarified # 1. Crap, just mentioning it probably painted an ugly picture. And shoot, I just said crap so I bet that didn’t help either. Sorry.) There has not been one night when I have not had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, usually multiple times, sometimes four to five times! It’s nuts and doesn’t do much in terms of promoting a restful night’s sleep. Maybe that’s why the naps feel so good. I did not know how early that started in pregnancy, but it started right away for me and continues. I can’t imagine how many times I’ll be going when our baby gets bigger!


Oh, and I can smell like nobody’s business! I’ve always thought my sense of smell was pretty keen, but now it seems to be working overtime. I’m happy to say that no smell has made me so sick that I’ve had to hit the bathroom yet, but there have been times when some are so overwhelming that I have to put something over my nose (for example, a blanket while Jeff is talking to me after having a few cocktails). I find it pretty ironic that women, with their heightened sense of smell during pregnancy, get gassier during it too. I mean, come on, how fair is that? Luckily for me (and Jeff), nothing that comes out of my bod has ever had even the slightest odor. Ever. No need to ask Jeff.


I’ve also had two bloody noses, which I found out is somewhat common in pregnant women actually, due to the increase in blood flow. (For obvious reasons, I skipped a graphic on this one.)

Do I even need to say it? Everything is getting tighter. Jeans, pants, skirts, you name it, it's getting tighter.


There’s been some lovely acne making an appearance on my skin, so that’s super fun. I wasn’t even going to mention it, but I needed to for memory purposes. I didn’t want to be one of those who says they never had this or that or did this or that when they were pregnant, when really they did but probably just don’t remember (yeah right, you never took one nap with either pregnancy, mom). So yes, the break outs are here and I hope they pass soon. If I’m one of those who doesn’t get that “pregnancy glow”, that’s lame. Come to think of it, does anyone ever really get that? It’s often talked about when celebs are preggers, but does it happen in real life? Man I hope so. If I get stretch marks and no glow, it’s going to be really tough on my self-image.


Lastly, I’ve had some heartburn and some headaches, but nothing major. Anytime I’ve had a headache, it’s usually gone away pretty quickly fortunately. No migraines either (some tinges at times like one is coming, but nothing has ended up transpiring). I haven’t had to pop any type of pill since I found out I was pregnant, not even a Tums yet, so nothing has been much of an ailment I can’t handle.


Yes, I am knocking on wood. And yes, those of you who have been really sick during your pregnancies can smack me across the face. I’m sure that reading this leaves you cussing me out and I can just hear you all chanting, “Well lah dee freaking dah for you”. Believe me, there’s still plenty of time for us to be united in some kind of pregnancy misery. I am not oblivious to that fact in the least. I will say it again though…I am fortunate, extremely thankful and I do have to admit that I’m really happy with how well all has gone so far. Things are relatively smooth sailing at this stage in the game for me and I am so very grateful!

4 comments:

The Swimnizzies said...

Glad you are feeling well! I was going to e-mail to check-in, but had the luxury of getting the latest and greatest from the blog!

Bundlebreeder said...

If anyone reading the blog is a banker, I could really use a loan prior to our trip to the state fair. Please contact me ASAP!

Swarty Family said...

The jeans photo looks like me each day! I am so excited to meet baby J!

The Morelli Mafia said...

You are seriously the best writer...period.