Friday, August 15, 2008

Doctor appointment: Proof of life!

Our baby's heart beats! Thank the good Lord, our baby has a beating heart!

The appointment with our doctor was at 4:00 today and what an appointment it was. Our nerves (yes, amidst the anticipation and excitement, Jeff was nervous too) were calmed as we discovered our baby continues to thrive inside of me. The appointment started with the usual weigh in (I gained one pound since the visit five weeks ago which was surprising because it feels like I've gained about ten!), urine sample and a check of my blood pressure. Immediately after, the two of us were brought into our room, lucky number seven, to wait for our doctor. He is usually running behind, so it was to our surprise that he came in within about five minutes. He proceeded to ask me some questions. He asked if I felt my pants getting tighter and as I sat with them unbuttoned for my comfort, I had to laugh as I said yes. He continued with a few more questions and then ceased his writing of my answers to look us both in the eyes.

"Usually at this appointment we would listen for your baby's heartbeat, which is really neat," he says, "but it's way more fun to see the actual picture of everything...so how about we go across the hall and do an ultrasound?" I was about to fall over! An ultrasound??? Yes! Please! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Before this appointment, I was checking the schedule of my doctor visits and the ultrasound didn't come into the picture until the 20 week mark. So to hear those words at 11 weeks, we were in a bit of shock. Fantastic shock!

Across the hall, the room darkened as the machine was turned on. Our doctor explained that first he would take a look and then turn the monitor to us so he could show us what he is seeing. First, he felt my belly and said that he could feel that my uterus was growing, so it was a good sign. The gel was squirted (and even that was surreal since I had only seen this on TV and in the movies...and now it was my turn!) and the wand was on me, pressing in circles. Several long seconds passed and a concentrated "Looks great" was uttered. A smile came over me, but I waited until I had more confirmation.

The monitor was turned to us and we saw our baby moving! We could see a body, arms and legs fluttering and then...our baby started moving like crazy, in all directions, and when that was all done, a head that was on the left side was now flipped and on the right side! With frozen smiles, we watched in complete and utter amazement at how much we could see of our baby. I really thought that both Jeff and I would cry on this day, but neither of us did. We were just so happy, and still in disbelief I think that this was all even happening. It was so much better not knowing that it was going to happen and we could not stop staring, nor could we wipe the perma-grins off our faces.

And through it all, there were the quick flickers of a beating heart. From that monitor came a glow that brought us so much joy and finally a sense of calm. What a glorious experience it was.

Right after it was over, I asked our doctor if anyone had ever told him they loved him after doing this. We all kind of chuckled and then he said, "I'd say I love you back, but I don't know how appropriate that would be!" as he looked at Jeff. It was fun to laugh again knowing that, as our doctor put it, everything looked wonderful. He even said I cracked him up! He sat with us for another 45 minutes to talk about what all was to come, genetic testing, the rollercoaster ride of fears and delights for the rest of my pregnancy and then it was our turn to ask our questions to him. We will never forget this day.

At last! Let it be known that we are having a baby!

2 comments:

Swarty Family said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you guys! Love the blog!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Jeff!!!! Congratulations from The Hixons! We are so excited and love the blog. Maddie is all ready to buy plane tickets for March. Glad you are feeling well Jennifer. Lots of love and prayers coming your way.