Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Doctor appointment: 37 week fetal and maternal assessment

Not a lot of breaking news at today's appointment, but I'm happy to have my doctor back after his vacation. Since many times it's not the case that your doctor is the one who actually ends up delivering your baby, I'm trying not to get my hopes up...but I do have my hopes up. I really want him to be the one there with us when I deliver, and now that he's back in the state, I feel better.

I gained two pounds since my last appointment. My swelling is still better than it was a couple of weeks ago, but my right side (foot and ankle) is noticeably more swollen than my left. Easier said than done to stay off my feet as much as I can (per my doctor's advice), but I have gotten better at sacrificing fashion for comfort when it comes to shoes. Socks have completely disappeared from my wardrobe because my swelling worsens no matter the type. Again, I haven't started to dilate, but the baby's head has come down further. It appears our addition needs a little more time before showing his or her face to the world. I've been fighting a nasty cold, so as much as I want the baby to come, waiting some is all right by me. I'm functioning on very little sleep and my sickness is getting the better of me. Thus, going into labor like this seems miserable and I'm grateful for (hopefully) at least a couple more days to get well. Jeff had it before me and now he is on the upward swing; I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll feel like I'm on my way in that direction too.

After my doctor's review of the ultrasound I had when he was gone, he let us know there was a large amount of fluid surrounding the baby. This was most likely why he thought I was tracking big previously. Usually they see a larger amount of fluid when diabetes is an issue, but since that's not the case for me, the effects are benign and there are no concerns (lack of fluid would be cause for concern). What he did warn me about is that when my water breaks, it may be just more of a mess. Lovely! Hopefully I'm somewhere super public if that's going to be the case. Based on the measurements taken at my ultrasound, he confirmed too that there's much less reason to suspect a big baby. That's the latest and greatest for now! My next appointment is on Tuesday, February 24th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maternal assessment sounds scary. Like they aren't going to let you have the baby until they evaluate your mommy skills. I am picturing gigantic preggos running an obstacle course for some reason. I am so anxious for you and Jeff. You are going to love being a mommy!!

Bundlewarmer said...

Hilarious, LE! Loved that comment.