Friday, March 19, 2010

Maternity leave that really pays

Deep breath. I quit my job. Oh my goodness---I QUIT MY JOB!

After five and a half years with the same company, Jeff and I felt it was in our best interest for me to leave my current position and take on a new and more rewarding one (and scarier and more challenging one no doubt too!)...that of a stay at home mommy of two! I gave my notice on Wednesday (Wednesday, March 17th...just another reason why a green champagne would have been extra nice that night). If all goes as planned with the baby set to arrive on Monday, April 5th, my last day at AMI will be Friday, April 2nd.

I am so incredibly excited about what is to come, but to be honest, nervous too. There are a ton of thoughts going through my mind, our minds, but mostly, I feel amazingly fortunate to have this opportunity.

The chance to be with our kids (still feels strange to say kids, plural, already!) on a full time basis is something I hadn't totally envisioned, but it is quickly going to be my reality. I can't believe it most days. I'll know what they ate and when they ate it. I'll know what they've learned, when they've learned it and how they've learned it. Then again, I'll know how much they've pooped, when they've pooped, what color they've pooped every single time they've pooped it too! So yeah, I do know it's not all going to be peaches and cream.

Financially, the timing is not ideal considering our unpredictable economy. It won't be easy, but it makes sense for us right now and hopefully as a family we'll benefit greatly from this decision. I have struggled deeply with the many thoughts about never reaching my full career potential, but feel better when going into this knowing that this may not be, nor does it ever have to be permanent. After taking some hard looks at the numbers, what it takes for us to get by in a year, who knows---I could be back to work before 2010 ends once this all truly sinks in. But for now, even with the uncertainties, we are looking at my being able to have this time with our children as a completely positive and rewarding experience. I am going to savor all that it is worth, even if a decision, an opportunity, timing or a circumstance changes the plan sooner rather than later.

It seemed a lot of people expected that with two kids so close in age, this decision may just be a natural one. Plus, with layoffs and furloughs affecting my company currently, and taking into account a non-paid maternity leave, the picture appeared to be getting clearer. So many of you had asked about our plans, specifically if I was going to return to work post baby #2, and if we didn't dodge the curiosities and questions entirely, we had to bend the truth until we felt we could come clean. Our apologies to everyone for not being forthcoming about this path, but the secret's finally out and damn does it ever feel good!

Any advice from those of you who are already doing what is one of the toughest jobs in the world will be immensely appreciated! I am incredibly lucky to be in this position and all of my gratitude goes to Jeff for making it a possibility. Thank you, babe, and let me apologize in advance for not feeling like cooking every single night just because I'm at home and begging you to pick up Chipotle on your way home. Or Gina Maria's. On those days, please consider that your children behaved perfectly because I was there with them. Oh, and that the laundry was done...or at least everything but the whites, but there is always the weekend and after all, don't you love the smell of bleach?

Now please, send that wonderful husband of mine some business before we have time to change our minds!

6 comments:

Suzanne Hoffmeyer said...

You will never be sorry you made this decision because they are little for such a short time. Good for you!!!

LeAnn said...

I had to send you an email because my comment got way too long. I do have to admit that I cringe when I have to fill in "Homemaker" for my job title. Can we think of another name? "Domestic Goddess" possibly? I am so happy for you and your family!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

The best most rewarding job you could EVER have!!! I did it til' my youngest was about 3yrs. Mine weren't close, but no amount of pt. care, CPR ect. could amoount to how stressful FT parent is!!! Many times I wanted to trade out! Stay with it...I just wanted my kids to have what I had..it rarely happens now... we decided to do it, even if we had to downsize our house, change cars..ect. SO WORTH it! You will NEVER get that time back!!! Awesome decision, and I support you 100%!!! Keep in touch! Posting this as anonymous, cause I can't remeber my apssword, but it's Amy Hunter, take care Jen!!

Unknown said...

Jenny, you have just made the second best decision of your life...the first was to marry my nephew!! There may be days that you are wondering why the heck you aren't working but those (hopefully) will be few and far between. There is absolutely nothing more important than raising your children and nothing more important to your children to know that you will be there for them when they need you. And you are so blessed that your gift of writing can be done from home...you are so talented...believe me you can make a million bucks designing blog pages for people or writing a weekly column on the "Miracle of Motherhood in the 21st Century" for Parent Magazine. And once you have your second child, you may as well have 10 kids, because there is no difference between the free time you will have whether it is 2 or 20 (which means there is no more free time!) Besides, who needs 2 TV's, when there is no time to watch a show, or why bother with the latest fashion when it will only be adorned with "spit up" and "runny noses"? Who needs to complete your set of Waterford crystal when sippee cups are really the rage? Actually life becomes simpler with children and much, much richer. Now that my four are all grown and off on their own, I'd give anything to be back in your shoes. Wear them well, Jenny. You won't regret it. Love, Aunt Marianne

Just Me said...

My kids are not quite 22 months apart, I quit work when my son was 4 months old, I stayed home the first 2 months, went back, was miserable and then gave notice. I love it. There are days it's a little crazy, and it can be a little annoying to work harder than I've ever worked taking care of 2 kids, keeping a spotless house, having no adult conversation, cooking, planning, etc...but I love it. The hugs and kisses that I get from my kids are the best payment I could ever get.
I missed all of my daughters firsts because my job was so demanding, and an hour from home. It broke my heart. I got to see all of my sons firsts, and it was so worth it!
I miss my job somedays, I miss the people, and it's hard seeing people advance in their career while I'm stuck in time, but I know that when I go back I will still be able to advance. And really, I know that my kids are better off at home with me than in any daycare!

Tricia O'Donnell said...

I can't wait for school to be out so I can "nanny" for you! Then you can enjoy a couple days of adult time here and there! I am almost as excited as you are about baby #2!
But I am soooo happy you can stay home with the babies...what a wonderful thing for all four of you!