Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Doctor appointment: 36 weeks

So I keep having this suspicion I may not make it to April 5th, the scheduled date of my c-section. My doctor said there was nothing indicating otherwise, but I know much of how I’m feeling is coming from the fact that I’m worried my doctor won’t be there to do my surgery. Since he is off for his kids’ spring break the week prior, other than to work in the office one day that week, I have been thinking that may be my time. The pessimist in me is coming through. Usually I’d be feeling very happy about shaving some time off of my pregnancy at this point, but as you all have heard several times, I just really want my doctor to be there.

I was determined to find out his exact schedule, as if I could really control if I’d go into labor early and when. When I asked if he’d be on call the weekend before the 5th and he said no, I practically begged him to get on the rotation. “That’s Easter!” he says. Sheesh. Like he needs to spend Easter with his family. I told him that too. Both he and Jeff found my madness humorous, and even though I was laughing too, I don’t think I was joking. Dr. Chow left the room while I got ready for my exam and came back with his on call schedule. Three days. Only three freaking days he is on call until the 5th! Like the guy needs that kind of a break. If I go into labor today, I’m all set. The two other dates are March 22nd and 23rd, both of which I said would work for me too. He tried to reassure me about the high qualifications of the other doctors, but I wasn’t having it and told him to take it as a compliment. “None of the other doctors is you!”

Then came time for my exam and he tells me I’m dilated to a one. Hold up, what? My mind races thinking my suspicions about going into labor early have now been fueled. I know people stay dilated at a one for some time, but it was strange to hear since with Mirabella, even at my 38 week appointment, I think five days before I had her, I was not dilated at all. So a one this time felt like…wow! And to still have almost three weeks left…WOW! So really, the 22nd would work great for me. I’m kicking myself for not asking him to pencil me in! One more thing…my doctor thinks this baby will be born bigger than Mirabella; he estimated the size at 6 1/4 right now (Mirabella weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces).

Anyway, after the exam, my doc changed his tune a little and said he’d say he’d give me a 70 % chance I’d make it to the 5th. 30 % I would not. We’ll see! I gained three pounds since my last appointment. Very fortunately, my ankles and feet haven’t started to swell like they did at this time with my first pregnancy. I had hopes I’d dodged a bullet, but was reminded that there was still time for that. Awesome. The good news is that my blood pressure looks great, so there aren’t concerns right now if the swelling and fluid retention does happen. I suppose I can handle a brief stint.

I have only two appointments left, next week and the following: Thursday, March 25th and Thursday, April 1st.

No comments: