Friday, January 9, 2009

Pay it forward

My coffee craving got the better of me today. I didn’t have time to make it at home this morning and my obsessive trait took over and I couldn’t stop thinking about how yummy it sounded. So off to the Caribou drive through I went. When my vehicle approached to pay, the window opened to reveal the cutest, most chipper girl who proceeded to tell me that the person in front of me had just paid for my coffee. I was shocked…elated…touched. The thought of a complete stranger’s act of kindness made me choke up immediately and I cried the entire way from there to work (aside from trying to keep it together during my phone call to Jeff to let him know what had just happened). I realized as I pulled away that I was a schmuck for not doing the same thing for the person behind me. I guess I was flustered and so consumed by the thoughts in my head about what just happened. So the next time I pull through the drive thru for some coffee, I’ll have it together and return the favor for someone else. I had heard of this phenomenon being discussed on the radio (the exact scenario of buying a person’s coffee who is behind you in a drive thru line), and had thought it was a neat thing to do, but why I hadn’t done it yet? After feeling the impact of such a seemingly simple act, I certainly will now. I’m sure my pregnancy hormones had something to do with the outpouring of tears, but I have to think I would be just as touched sans swollen tummy.

It truly takes so little to make someone’s day and leave a lasting effect. I hope that stranger felt as good giving that gift to me as I did receiving it. I now can’t wait to pay it forward and I hope this little tidbit inspires you to do so too.

No comments: