Thursday, January 8, 2009

The (not so) high chair is first in the assembly line

When it came to registering for baby gear, the high chair was a natural addition to the list. I wasn’t totally sold on the choices I had seen, but sure enough, the scanner beeped and one was added. A couple weeks later I found myself in a more manageable sized baby store (the kind that wouldn’t make a first-time dad break out in hives on his first trip) to check out this little number below. Sold! I immediately ordered it. Jeff picked it up last week and started assembling it right when he got home that day. I reminded him that we wouldn’t need it for a while, but I think he was just excited to get something for the shorty up and running. With the exception of our rocker and ottoman, the nursery sits empty. Our crib, dresser and bookcase have yet to arrive, but our kid can eat...well, when he or she is able, anyway. Typical of our ways that eating is primary around our home.



The chair will be put to use when our baby's around six months old. Its tray can be removed and because the chair is smaller than a typical high chair, it can be pulled right up to our table. Eventually, it can convert into a full sized chair (and seat an adult up to 250 pounds---I’m picturing us as middle-agers sending a drunken party guest to “the chair”. Won’t that be fun?). OK, so even though we most likely won’t use it into our child’s adulthood, with all the doodads out there that see such a short life span of use for kiddos, this chair seemed like a smart idea. Yes, it’s practical, but honestly, the look is what sold me. My cravings for coffee-based beverages have yet to cease, but the espresso color was picked to match our dining room table (although there may be some psychological connection in there somewhere). I hate to toot its horn (not really...toot), especially before even trying the chair out in a real world setting, but we like it a lot and are looking forward to putting it to the test.

Keep those tools near, bundlebreeder. Assembly required makes the finished product so much better (or so I will happily remind you in my gentlest voice as you are cussing out the next screw that doesn't fit properly, bolt that doesn't tighten, etc., etc., etc.).

1 comment:

Swarty Family said...

Jeff and tools are scary.