Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oh, the places we'll go

Normally January in Minnesota feels like a drag. It’s the month when everyone starts complaining about how cold it is outside and how long the winter is. Well this year, for me, January is so exciting! It’s going to be a really busy month for us and before we know it, it’ll be over. We have a lot on the calendar to prepare for the bundle’s arrival and each event will hopefully leave us feeling more ready than the next for the change in store for our family of two.


Yesterday, we had our 32 week doctor appointment. It was a pretty quick appointment and everything went well. I didn’t gain any weight since my last appointment, so that was a nice added bonus. Not that I’m opposed to the weight gain by any means, but with my bottomless pit of a stomach, it was kind of refreshing (and a bit miraculous) hearing I hadn’t packed on some pounds. Give it time. Our next appointment will be in two weeks with a nurse practitioner and then we follow up with our doctor two weeks after that in the beginning of February. At that appointment at 36 weeks, he’ll do a cervical exam to make sure the baby’s head is down and to see if I’ve started to dilate. Appointments will continue every week after that until the baby comes.


Last night, we started the first (three hour) session of our “Birth and Parenting Preparation” class, a class that will conclude today (after another six hour session). Am I the only one that thinks the he-he-ha breathing method is a little scary with its resemblence to that hair-raising background "music" in Friday the 13th? My brother used to freak me out with that as a kid...che, che, che, che, ha, ha, ha, ha...che, che, che, che, ha, ha, ha, ha. How am I supposed to relax as I reminisce about this painful childhood memory? Maybe it'll end up having a positive effect and help my mind to refocus. Lord, I hope so after watching that birthing video. The good news is that I still want to have our baby (as if I had a choice now), but I'll admit I'm getting more anxious about labor and delivery. I'm sure every new mom-to-be is before it happens though, so I'll get through it (kicking and screaming probably, but I will..right?). Subsequent classes start this coming Monday night and continue on Monday nights through the end of January. They include an “All About Babies” Class (four hours total) and a “Breastfeeding Preparation” class (two and a half hours total).


The really fun stuff begins after our class when my first baby shower kicks off this evening! I cannot even wait. Because I’ve been to so many over the years for other people, it’s very surreal to think of myself as being the guest of honor this time. I’m so lucky to have such fabulous people in my life that offered to throw them for me. Each shower will be different than the rest; one is in the morning, one is in the afternoon and one is in the evening.

Leah, Kristin, Missy and Missy, four of my best friends, are throwing a baby shower cocktail/mocktail party for me tonight! I’m really looking forward to seeing what they have in store. They pull out all the stops for parties and I have no doubt it’ll be an event to remember. I just hope none of the guys Leah and I used to work with back in the day at Chi-Chi’s makes an appearance as bartenders (as they did when her parents threw a major bash for their 50th birthdays). I don’t think my bladder coupled with Kristin’s hard wood floors could handle those shaved man legs and muscle shirts without a major accident.

The most fantastic neighbors and friends that anyone could ask for, Denise and Mary, will be having a neighborhood shower for me next weekend. They were so sweet and had the guest list prepared for me literally the day after Jeff and I told them I was pregnant! It was the nicest. We are so grateful to have them and their families in our lives (stay tuned for a blog post about Mrs. Mary Smith!).

My last shower, will be given by two of my aunts and two of my cousins, Pat, Jody, Tammy and Khristin. I'm very close with each of them (although Pat gets way more pumped up about being close to my husband...keep it in the family I guess...OK, gross). They have all been so good to me and I’m really happy to be able to celebrate this time with them and all my other relatives!

The hubby will be extra busy with beer and boys, broomball and bowling each week. I told him to keep his cell phone close by! We'll also sneak in a Wild game, an overnight getaway and a couple other parties together this month. January is packed, but so many good things are in store. My sincerest thanks and gratitude goes out to each of my shower hosts for making me feel as special as I do, and likewise to all of our friends and family for helping both Jeff and me to rejoice in this awesome time in our lives.

No comments: