Saturday, March 23, 2013

Doctor appointment: Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT)


Hip-hip-hooray! I passed the three-hour GTT! Man, oh, man, was I nervous. I am so happy this was the outcome and life seems a whole lot more joyful with ice cream in it again! My appointment was at 7:30 in the morning yesterday (Friday, March 22nd). I had four finger prick checks to get through and could only fail one. When I was doing this routine when I was pregnant with Viviana, my doc said I could go home if I passed the third check, but this time I was told they had to get a reading for all four. So, I'd give away another hour of my life, but I was somewhat more at ease with that knowing I was in the clear after my number checked out for the first three.

Here was the breakdown:

Check 1: Fasting glucose = 75 (needed to be less than 95)

Immediately after, I drank my 100 gram glucose fruit punch and was sent back to the waiting room for an hour. I was told to expect an intense sugar high and then to expect a crash. There was a place to lay down if I became tired. I only felt the slightest high when I was talking to the woman getting my blood sample during my check at hour one, but for the most part, I was just a little sleepy the whole time.

Check 2: Hour one = 153 (needed to be less than 180)

Check 3: Hour two = 140 (needed to be less than 155)

I was told hour two is when most people who are going to fail do, so passing this one felt fantastic - especially since I knew now I was in the clear!

Check 4: Hour three = 144 (needed to be less than 140)

Even though I failed the last check, it was still considered a pass and I could resume pregnancy life as usual. What a relief!

I thanked God and set out for a Chipotle lunch with Mirabella and Viviana.



We followed that up with a run for a pint of Chocolate Fudge Brownie knowing I would dive in once I got the girls down for naps (translation: no sharing!). However, I did not eat the entire pint. There was enough to get me through that sitting, another sitting after the girls went to bed last night (after Rocky Rococo's pizza at my parents' house!) and enough for a few bites later today! Such self control. Ha!

I promise not to be a junk hog for the rest of this pregnancy and will continue doing a good job of supplying my baby with plenty of the nutrients he or she needs. But knowing that I can still pepper in an overload of decadence along the way makes me one happy mama!

No comments: