Tuesday, February 2, 2010

So sweet...and salty!

Last Thursday (Thursday, January 28th), my brother teased me with the lure of a surprise he was going to bring me at work the following day. Well, I wasn’t able to make it into work that day because after finally being able to eat some yummy food again after passing my glucose test, at 3:00am that Friday I came down with the flu! My surprise would have to wait. Mirabella had the nastiness that Wednesday, so after a day or so of pondering its strike, it decided to take over my bod too. After not even being able to keep water down that day (I will spare you the details), I was finally able to eat exactly three bites of a banana, a couple tiny bits of plain white toast and some Jell-o later that evening. Boy, would I have killed for those Bran Flakes! By Saturday I added some peanut butter to my toast and got some noodle soup down until I worked my way up to the ultimate meal on Sunday night: a sandwich! Unfortunately the bug touched Jeff too, so our family was basically quarantined all weekend.

In the ultimate irony, I talked to a nurse at my clinic when I was at my sickest on Friday and among other things, she advised me to have no dairy for 72 hours. If I had had the strength, I would have kicked myself for not heading straight to Dairy Queen from my clinic after I passed that GTT on Thursday.

(Hmm, DQ…I don’t think I’ve actually had a Blizzard my entire pregnancy. Note to self.)

So today my brother called and asked if it was a good day to stop by my office. Of course! I love a good surprise, and he assured me it was a good one, so I was eagerly awaiting it. I watched for him and as he approached my office door, I saw some heavenly goodness in his had. It was a malt! Seeing it brought a big smile to my face, but when I found out it was not just any old malt (which would have been perfectly welcomed), but a salted caramel one, my heart skipped a beat a little! How sweet! And oh my gosh, was it delicious. I inhaled the thing, devouring every last scrumptious sip! He knew I had been craving that salty/sweet taste, so he made it his mission to find it for me and crossing several cities to get there, he found it in malt form at Burger Jones . What a perfect gift, not only for passing the glucose test (as he said was his primary reason for the surprise), but it was just what I needed now that I am finally able to eat regular food again (regular pregnancy food = junk food and ice cream…after supplementing with vitamins and some proper nutrition, of course!). Such a lovely gesture...thanks so much, Jason!

The only downfall is that now I can’t get that thing off of my mind.

1 comment:

BKOlson said...

You better hit DQ this weekend!! I can't believe you have held off all pregnancy. Jason is such a sweet bro. Yum... I could really go for some ice cream...