Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Six months down

At 24 weeks pregnant (as of Sunday, December 20th) I've been very fortunate again in that I'm feeling so well and my pregnancy is going wonderfully. Right before I hit week 16, I felt my baby move and a couple weeks later, Jeff felt it too. Over the last eight weeks since I felt those first flutters, I've been feeling him or her moving a bunch ever since and have been loving every second of it. Especially lately, the baby moves constantly and not only can it be felt, now it can be seen!

I think it was at about 17 or 18 weeks when I was at the grocery store that the first person, the first stranger, acknowledged I was pregnant. It was sample day (go figure) and when the woman gave me a sparkling juice taste, she said that it was good for me, then looked down and said it was good for both of us. It made me so happy. Pregnant, not fat...thanks for noticing, dear sample lady! Surely other strangers noticed my belly before then, but this was the first time one had felt comfortable saying something I suppose. Well now that I'm 24 weeks, I'm obviously fully showing to the world at this point and have been since oh, about week one (or so it felt like to me!).

When my first trimester ended, the tiredness remained whereas with Mirabella, I remember feeling refreshed almost immediately once I got out of it. Although I didn't quite get that same pronounced burst of energy upon entering into my second trimester as I did then, I can't complain in the least. I'm quite sure I just need to get used to being tired for a while, years I suppose, but I am much less tired than I was in the beginning. I think the energy burst is coming, just a little late. Or, maybe this is it!

Previously (in my second trimester has begun post) I had mentioned that I was getting the same goofy butt pain I had gotten when I was pregnant with Mirabella. I have since forgotten to mention that it was thankfully short-lived and after only having it for maybe a week or so, it hasn't come back! I also had bothersome back pain with Mirabella in the middle of my right side, and that hasn't come back either. I feel tinges here and there, but nothing like last time. That was the worst. I don't know if it's still too early on for it, but I'm enjoying its lack of presence.

Jeff will concur that my absent-mindedness is in full effect. I can't seem to remember much of anything unless I write it down. I make lists for everything, online, in my phone, on paper, in my head and soon, on my forehead, I swear. I think absent-mindedness is putting it politely. Sometimes I'm an utter idiot! Brainless even. I find myself saying some of the stupidest things and of course, blame the baby for sucking the oxygen from my noggin. Common sense? On vacation. I forget food in the oven (after shutting off the timer thinking I can remember to take whatever it is out after just a few more minutes of cooking), on the stove and in the toaster. I'll fluff up clothes in the dryer I've forgotten to empty only to forget them again. It's a vicious cycle of fluff, fluff and refluff. (Hey, shouldn't I be taking a break from cooking and cleaning right now anyway?) I've forgotten to add street addresses on cards I've mailed; the tune of "Return to Sender (address unknown, no such number, no such zone...)" plays in my head. I wish I could remember the better examples, but why is it not surprising that my memory escapes me now? Somehow I remember to shower (well, most days) and pick up Mirabella at daycare, but I'm waiting for all that to change.

Another symptom of pregnancy for me that has come back this time around is the bloody noses. I've had several gushing nose bleeds in the past two months. They are more of a nuisance than anything. I'd much rather have a bloody nose than a migraine though, which have been sparse, thank goodness! I had a few early on, and one two weeks ago, so all in all, things are good in that area. I’ve had some cramping in my foot a few times, but nothing as bad as the handful of times they happened with my first pregnancy. Oh, and I get winded easily, especially when going up stairs (and especially with a nine month old on my hip while climbing those stairs) but that's standard. Surprising some with all the marathon running I do, but fairly standard nonetheless (haha!).

Listing these things is more to keep record for myself, not to complain about them. Really, how could I complain? I mean, it's not like someone forgot to put the cheese cup in with my nachos or something.

I love being pregnant. I am utterly grateful that I have been able to be pregnant twice in my lifetime and I'm incredibly blessed to have been given the chance to enjoy my pregnancies so much. Cheers to the bundle being in my oven for six months!

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Good to read that you are feeling as great as you look! I'm so anxious to see what you have cookin in there! Couldn't you have your doctor email me? I won't tell ;)