Friday, December 4, 2009

Food.

I like it. I love it (I want some more of it...to continue to tune). I’ve always felt badly for those people who don’t seem to care much about food, or eating for that matter. What a tragedy! I used to think when a person said that sometimes they forget to eat, they were lying. Now though, I believe there actually are some people who really don’t care that much about eating. Maybe that’s why they look so darn good in skinny jeans. I bet they don’t know that Joe’s makes skinny jeans in "curvy". But, I do.

Next to my family and friends, the joy of eating is third on my list for what I enjoy most in this world. I’ve been accused of being a picky eater, but really, meat is what I’m picky about. I’m not a big fan of it, especially during pregnancy. I don’t like mushrooms and (besides lobster, crab and blue marlin thus far) most types of seafood. It’s a short list in my opinion. What no one has ever accused me of though is starving myself. Words I don’t hear very much: "You really should eat something."

I’ve never been the healthiest of eaters (someday maybe I’ll get on one of those health kicks I’ve been hearing about), but during pregnancy, I’m worse. Sweets are doing me in. Cake, cookies, candy, pretty much most desserts in general, pancakes and syrup, they’re my ally and my enemy in one. The sweets are my craving, coffee, hot chocolate and cider too. I baked a cake two nights ago and ate five pieces that night. My disclaimer is that they were brownie sized pieces. I can’t be trusted, not around chocolate.

Breakfast calls my name lately. Not the peanut butter toast, the cereal or the oatmeal (although I eat all three), but nothing calls my name at breakfast right now like pancakes. Well, maybe an Egg McMuffin and hashbrowns or an egg and cheese bagel, but a good sit down breakfast calls for circular sweetness. I haven't always been all about pancakes, but now, it's like I can get enough. I'm not sure if it's the syrup, or the chocolate chips, blueberries, bananas or the like added to the batter. It must be the syrup because French toast always sounds good too. But for some reason though, I keep gravitating toward pancakes. This happened some with Mirabella too, but not as badly from what I recall.

Speaking of sweet, four of my girlfriends were kind enough to oblige my craving last weekend when we met up for brunch at the OPH. I ordered two meals: chocolate chip pancakes and cherry crepes.


There’s been room on the savory side though too. No surprise that Mexican food remains at the top of my food list and Taco Bell has been sneaking in, well, coming in at full force. (I've been meaning to get a Taco Bell post up because I have a great story about it, but if I don't, remind me to tell you about it.) I eat it two to three times a week, usually at lunch. It’s convenient, and those cheesy bean and rice burritos are fantastic. One used to be enough, but with pregnancy, I had to add an order of chips and cheese for the baby. I take three vitamins for him or her daily, so I feel it’s my duty as a mother to provide something yummy to balance it all out.

In my first trimester and even into my second, there honestly were times I’d get full really fast. Those days have passed. This explains why at my last doctor appointment (during my 20 week ultrasound appointment) at 21 weeks, I gained nine pounds in the six weeks since my previous appointment. NINE pounds! Even the lady that did my weigh-in grinned when she looked at the chart to write it down. I’m going to make myself feel better by saying I provoked her because I was shocked and was masking the shock by laughing, acting like it was humorous. I continued the sentiment when I blurted out the number to Jeff and my doctor before he even opened my chart. My doctor slightly chuckled with me, with us, and after doing some analysis, I felt good when he said the weight gain didn’t worry him at all. Thank goodness. That would mean I’d have to give a hoot about what I ate and I really don’t want to do a silly thing like that, not while pregnant. I think he said I was tracking six pounds more than what I weighed at this time with Mirabella, and by the looks of my 20 week photos back then, I’m going to tell myself it’s all baby and all in my belly. I know by looking at my face, neck and body in those photos that my reasoning isn’t at all the truth, but I’m running with it.

It may take me longer to shed the pounds once our baby arrives, but besides one hardened brownie cookie I should have spit out (but instead at the whole thing), I’ve enjoyed every bite (and every ounce of my little bundle) that has led me to put them on. And now that I’m having a tough time fitting into my Joe’s Honey booty cut skinny jeans, most maternity jeans are curvy by default, so for now I’m all set. Live in the moment is a motto I’m sticking with.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

All you girls have the same color HAIR! :-) Cute as can be though!!