Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Doctor appointment: 32 weeks

It had been a long stretch since seeing my actual doctor, but finally I was in to see him last Tuesday (Tuesday, April 9th), a couple days shy of being 32 weeks pregnant. I was excited hoping that the day's appointment would bring an answer to the question of when our baby's birthday would be! And the date was determined...but I think that needs its own blog post, so more on that to come!

I have been on a roll of eight pound weight gains (from January to February and then again from February to March), so imagine my content when the number only jumped four pounds this time. Yay! More importantly, the baby's heart beat sounded good, my blood pressure is great, I have no swelling yet and things continue to be going well with my pregnancy. I mentioned my increase in bloody noses, at this point getting them nearly every day, but he didn't appear to be concerned. Since I had them with my first two pregnancies, I'm trying not to be concerned about it either, but what a nuisance these have been!

My doctor said I am measuring right where I am supposed to be, so no more wise cracks about the possibility of twins! There is no chance they missed seeing one during an ultrasound, nor did they mistake two heartbeats for one. Zero chance. I have had total strangers wonder - and voice their thoughts about my size to me - so come on, I know it crossed your mind. At least now I can say I'm due in "just over" a month which doesn't make the size of my belly seem quite so extraordinary (even if the fact was I was closer to two months than one!)!

Halfway through my conversation with my doctor, he asked how long I had been sick. At that time I had been battling some type of a cold for four days that I had been successful at fighting off when it passed through the rest of my family. I was feeling optimistic I wouldn't get it after the worst of what they had was over, but then it hit me. I had been congested for so long aside from having whatever I had acquired, but now I felt like my head was going to explode. He prescribed me an antibiotic that I was hesitant about taking, but after a couple days, I succumbed. Both Dr. Chow and the pharmacist assured me it was totally safe for the baby, but I hardly ever take medication when I am sick when I'm not pregnant, so I just figured I would let it run its course. Although with no sign of relief in sight, I figured I would follow doctor's orders. A week later and I'm still awaiting complete relief, but maybe the meds helped more than I know. I am just hoping this crud clears pronto and the bubble in my head - in my ears especially - pops!

Before I got pregnant, my doctor had given me the name of another doctor to arrange for my hernia surgery, but I confirmed it will be Dr. Chow doing the procedure the day of my c-section now. I am not entirely joking when I say I kind of hope he gives the expert a call to make sure he knows what he's doing first! My next appointment will be this coming Tuesday (Tuesday, April 23rd) already and at last we are starting to travel quickly aboard baby's arrival train!

No comments: