Monday, February 18, 2013

Doctor appointment: Ultrasound and 24 week fetal and maternal assessment

 
 
So relieved to say that the second more in-depth look at our baby went well! I had another ultrasound this past Friday (Friday, February 15th) and was told, "Baby looks great!" as our doctor put it. A closer look of the heart was needed since he or she didn't want to fully cooperate to allow for any good photos at my last appointment. Everything checked out well and it was nice to have another peek at our baby-cakes! We were able to listen to the heart beat again too (heart rate was 135) and were told that the baby weighs 1 pound 7 ounces.  
 
 
Baby's mouth is open in this one! We even got to see his or her tiny tongue. Very cool.
 

 
Brace yourselves (or maybe it was just me that needed bracing): I gained a whopping eight pounds since my last appoinment a month ago! Holy Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie! Total weight gained thus far is 11 pounds. I asked both the woman doing my weigh-in and of course my doctor if that was concerning and each said no. But, seriously, eight pounds?  I suppose I better slow down on the ice cream and sweets, which have been heavy on the rotation for me. Oh, and let's not forget about all those super delicious carbs. Gosh, I was getting so much better before this pregnancy! So not the case right now.  
 
I received my sugar-filled water in fruit punch flavor to chug before my next appointment, my glucose screaning. If I fail the first round of the test (roughly 10 % do and I did fail it with Viviana), I have to go back for a three-hour test. I am so hoping that is not that case! Even more so, I am praying I don't fail that one (roughly 3 % do) since that would mean I have gestational diabetes and the sweets are packing up and getting the heck out of my house. I was actually told last time that it has more to do with my hormones than my diet, but I know the excess of sugar in my diet does not help. Obviously my most important concern would be the health of our baby, and having this does pose some health risks. I'll certainly be praying for a pass on the first try!

No comments: