Friday, March 13, 2009

The conclusion (one chapter closes...a new one begins)

Read the introduction and the body, the two previous posts, first...

After Mirabella was cleaned up, she and Jeff returned to me for another meeting, our official first meeting. It was like nothing I had ever felt. There she was, looking at me and it all felt like a dream. How thankful we were that she was healthy. After a short time, dad and daughter were taken away while the doctor finished taking care of mom. Jeff would get to introduce our daughter to the grandparents. He'd walk down to where they were anxiously awaiting some news and when he got there he announced, "This is Mirabella!" They were all so happy and excited.

I would wake up fifteen minutes later and my shakes were better, but still there. I was told they were going to give me something to calm them, so I asked if that was going to happen, but was told it did and I had just woken up from what they had given me. I was hoping for the shakes to stop, but they didn't. When I was ready to go to the recovery room, they continued the entire ride. I was covered in hot towels and although they felt nice, they didn't stop the shaking. It wasn't until what seemed like forever in the recovery area, when they gave me something else, that the shakes would finally cease and I was relieved. Jeff returned with our Mirabella. What joy. Our parents also returned, two at a time. They were exhausted, but Mirabella energized them. They left to get some sleep soon after.

At after 5:00 am on Sunday (Sunday, March 1st, the morning of Mirabella's birth), our family of three would arrive in the hospital room we would stay in until Thursday (Thursday, March 5th, Mirabella's original due date). After two hours of sleep, Jeff and I would start our Sunday. I was given antibiotics for a fever I had after delivery and would later be told I had lost a lot of blood which could require a blood transfusion (sounded frightening to me, but two days later I'd be told the need was gone). We were informed of Mirabella's jaundice, so she would require phototherapy (light) by the use of a biliblanket.


The hard part for Jeff and me was that all we wanted to do was hold her every second, but she would have to return to the lights as much as possible. We abided, as much as we could. :) By Tuesday, the news would be broken that she had lost 12% of her body weight, 10% is concerning, so this was not good. We would have to supplement my colostrum (and/or what was there of my breast milk), with formula which would be given in the nursery that night through a dropper or syringe so as not to introduce her to a bottle yet. The next morning I would be instructed on how to use a supplemental nursing system (SNS).



And here we thought this breastfeeding thing was a piece of cake with her latching on like a champ those first two days! It turns out, she just wasn't getting enough and we didn't know it. After a full day of my using the SNS, we would receive the best news: it was working and Mirabella's weight was down only 8% by Wednesday. Our nurse at that time informed us that when they are down so low in weight, the hope is that they don't drop any lower, but to see her gain such a huge amount in a such a short amount of time was beyond successful. My milk had started to come in by Wednesday and was fully in by the next day.






That Thursday morning we would also be told Mirabella had improved so much that we wouldn't need to take the biliblanket home with us, as we were warned could have been the case previously. Great news. She was healing, I was healing and it was time for us to go home. Finally! (And I have to ask---who ever said to bring clothes that fit you when you were about five months pregnant to go home in? Try nine months. Granted, I was retaining a ton of fluid, but no one prepared me for how huge my belly was still going to be. It was down from what it was, but still big. Was I a rare case? Ugh. Thank goodness it gets smaller every day, but man, those first couple days were very difficult on the self esteem!)

I only made Jeff pull over once on the car ride home to check and see if she was breathing. Mirabella's first public appearance was made at, of course, Chipotle. We enjoyed our lunch with her asleep. Poor girl probably didn't even get a sniff of the heavenly aroma in that place. In due time.




We were greeted by a stork holding pink balloons and a baby wrapped in a pink blanket in our yard when we arrived at home. Our neighbors are the best. I had a sneak peak since Jeff had stopped home during the week and surprised me with some photos when he came back to the hospital. I was so touched, and yes, the tears came. What a shocker that is these days. :)



We had so many visitors up to the hospital to meet our precious baby and to convey their congratulations to Jeff and me. Thank you to all of you and my apologies to our Sunday visitors for being a bit (or more than a bit) out of it as the day went on due to the pain meds combined with my sleep deprivation (and Jeff's too). The visitors have continued since we left the hospital too, almost daily, sometimes multiples per day. It's beautiful to see the introductions and everyone's reactions to her. Our time at home has been cherished and amidst the many new challenges, things get easier each day. Jeff returned to work for a half day the Friday after we came home (Friday, March 6th) and due to our appointments with a lactation consultant the following Monday and Mirabella's first doctor appointment on Tuesday (her doctor said she was perfect and she was already up to 7 pounds 9 ounces, two ounces more than when she was born, so she's been getting her share of grub...just like mama!), he worked half days on those days too before returning to more of a regular schedule by Wednesday.

I've adjusted very well to being home with her; I yearn for more time at home with her. I'm looking forward to being able to drive again since I was advised I needed to wait two weeks because of the c-section (and pain meds, which I am no longer on). Recovery has been good (slow, but good), but I cannot wait to get in my groove and begin to move like my old self again. My mantra with that, and with a new baby in the house has been, "Be patient. Stay calm. Be patient. Stay calm." So far, thankfully it's been working, helping at least. In case anyone was wondering since I haven't had a track record of being too good at it...I'm fabulous at changing dirty diapers now. A pro. Spit up? Fine. Have at it, baby. I was growing somewhat tired of hearing "it'll being different when it's your own" but yes, it's been the case. We love, love, love Mirabella more than any words could describe. We stare at her. Smile at her. Kiss her. Hold her. Talk to her. Cry (I cry...a lot). Happy tears knowing I have a daughter and she is here and I love her more than I thought possible. No, that's not necessarily true...I knew I would feel this.

I still haven't decided what to do about this blog. Even with an infant at home, it's tough to stay away. I can't lie: it's tough to find the time (between feedings) right now too. I'll just leave this post with saying, I know this won't be my last post. Thanks everyone for all of the congratulations, wishes, support, happiness and pure, incredible love we have received at this unbelievably joyous and surreal time in our lives.

Forever grateful continuously seems to be an understatement around the Jiovanazzo home.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the pictures. It is such an emotional journey. Welcome to parenthood! You are forever changed in the most amazing way.

Jordan said...

I love the last pic where Mirabella is zonked out...SO CUTE! She's so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Love reading your birth story and the pictures are just DARLING!!! Enjoy your little girl!
Deb Femling